Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Crock-pot Recipe: Pumpkin Chili

A dump, stir, then leave it recipe for the crock-pot inspired by Delicious TV.

Pumpkin Chili

Ingredients:

  • 1 can of pumpkin puree

  • 1/2 of a yellow onion

  • 2 cloves of garlic

  • 2 cans of beans (I used kidney but black or pinto would work as well)

  • 1 large can of crushed tomatoes

  • 4 cups of vegetable broth or 2 cups of broth and 2 cups of water

  • 2 cups of water (optional)

  • 1/2 to 1 cup of pearled barley

  • 2 teaspoons chili powder

  • 1 teaspoon curry powder

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil (optional)*

  • salt and pepper to taste

Add pumpkin puree, water, and broth to crock-pot, making sure the puree is well mixed in. Add the rest of the ingredients, cover, and set crock-pot timer. If you can stir the chili up while it is cooking, feel free to do so; I wasn't able to and the beans stuck a little to the bottom of the pot.

Recipe make a lot of chili and it reheats well.

*I discovered early on that any animal product cravings I had disappeared with a little extra fat in my diet. As a result, all my recipes have a higher fat percentage than some other vegan recipes. If you prefer a low-fat diet, just omit the extra oils I add.

No comments:

Post a Comment